Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Windows Live OneCare


Windows Live Doesn'tCare.


It is only OneCare if ALL of your software is Microsoft -- it doesn't work well with others. It was already very frustrating dealing with the software; to deal with the customer support over the phone -- be prepared to be passed around with never-ending call transfers. The software treated a lot of my programs as if they were viruses. When I tried cancelling within the money-back guarantee period, nobody returned my calls despite leaving a few voicemails.

Just then, a nasty email from Billing told me that an automatic renewal would be charged unless I cancel it. I called FOUR times. After several business days, no calls were returned. Trying to cancel the subscription was hopeless -- one transfer after another. One representative said, "Just to warn you, Windows Live OneCare is American. They don't really take care of Canadian accounts." So, more transfer after another transfer until I recognize a friendly Canadian accent. She apologized, "Yeah, sorry. I left a few voicemail as well, but they never called back either. But here's the money-back guarantee toll free number."

There HAS got to be a way to pull the plug. Then, I typed the necessary keywords on Google. Finally, there was another way (NOT mentioned from the links provided in the email) to reach Billing: via online chat. After what seemed to be forever, the subscription was successfully cancelled. Of course, they would not give my money back, like I predicted. After such experience, I would never try another paid Microsoft subscription EVER again.

1 comment:

snowkissed said...

I definitely feel your pain. Microsoft still owes me $150. Unfortunately I love the xbox 360 and use Xbox live, so I'm forced to still deal with them -.-

-Lianne