Sunday, June 8, 2008

Stronger

An illustration of the headlands in Tintagel, Cornwall, South-east coast of the United Kingdom. Media: conte



I'm usually a pretty level-headed girl,
but I can't carry the whole world up on my shoulders
I know I'm strong, but sometimes I'm wrong
because I'm stubborn and let pride get along the way

I'm definitely stronger because of You
The ghosts of yesterday are slowly gone;
I feel so safe when I'm with you
You make me stronger
So much stronger, like the rock after endless storms

I'm still standing stronger because of the sand breaking the waves;
The grass is like friends that holds the rainwater,
preventing me from breaking down any further.

The sun is definitely shining brighter, longer and stronger
because of you, you and you.

- Cynthia Chiew, February 24, 2008


This is me visiting England alone on a whim in January 2008. It was a wet, windy, and an unpleasantly cold day to visit the ruins of Tintagel castle, which was believed to be the legendary King Arthur's castle, but I had three hours to kill after a long train ride from London. I was the first visitor that day, brave enough to go despite a rainy hail-storm. The stairs to the castle were difficult and uneven; it was sort of poetic that way. It reminded me of life -- not each step is the same nor it is easy to climb, but once you get to the top, the view is marvellous. I was deeply humbled by the headlands -- they have been here for many centuries. When I saw the ruins of Tintagel Castle, I was even more humbled by the strength of nature: waves of the Atlantic Ocean.

No comments: