Sunday, November 23, 2008

Amazing Videos for knitting

Who can resist a ball of beautiful yarn at $0.99? Not I. The bulky yarn, 76.5% Acrylic, 10.5% wool, 10.5% Mohair and 2.5% Polyester, has been incredibly difficult to knit with, especially with bigger sized needles; size 10 mm in my case. Frustrated with trying to wrap my head around knitting abbreviations, I turned to youtube for help. It has been a while since I have knitted! I forgot how to cast on. (Crochet is part of knitting, but it is technically not the same) There are so many methods of casting on -- you could either use your fingers as if the yarn was a sling shot, working with one needle; or use the other needle.

I might just have to rip out the scarf I was working on. I think the yarn I bought would be good for making a scarf with elongated stitches. See pattern. (6 rows of garter stitch, 1 row of elongated stitch. Repeat. Add fringe.Elongated stitch: insert needle as if to knit. Wrap yarn 4 or 5 times around needle. Pull all wraps through stitch. On next round, knit just the front loop, letting wraps fall off of needle.) I might just give this scarf to a cousin as Xmas gift, my way of saying thanks when she drives me to the airport this December, instead of donating it to the business association's silent auction.

Hearing the phrase "Purl stitch" used to make me feel like a knitting idiot, but this video explains it in full and concise clarity.

I was stumped on making my boyfriend's scarf for the longest time. He requested for a scarf with a button, which is a cool idea -- you button your scarf instead of having to wrap it around you. Now, I might not be as stumped. This is how to stitch a button hole.

Seriously, I will love any of my friends to death if they give me knitting patterns/needles/cool yarn for Christmas. You have no idea how addicting knitting is.

No comments: